News
Bullied to Ballot: Deaths, Threats That Trailed Osun Election

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on Sunday, concluded the Osun governorship election, with Governor Ademola Adeleke declared the winner.
Adeleke of the Accord Party secured 511,067 votes to defeat his closest contender, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who polled 444,815 votes.
Najeem Salaam, the candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), emerged second runner-up with 17,180 votes, according to the results announced by the Returning Officer for the election, Joshua Ogunwole, at the INEC Collation Centre in Osogbo.
Ogunwole said 1,010,684 voters were accredited for the election, while 1,005,800 votes were recorded.
Although 15 political parties were on the ballot, the race was widely seen as a three-horse contest involving the Accord Party, APC and ADC. The Accord Party and APC, however, emerged as the dominant forces, with the advantage of incumbency and federal backing respectively.
Shortly after his victory, Adeleke said there was no victor and no vanquished, expressing hope that the other candidates would accept the outcome of the election.
Many election observers have described the poll as largely peaceful, with no widespread violence reported during voting.
However, while election day itself passed relatively peacefully at most polling units, Politics Nigeria understands that the ballot was preceded by weeks of reported killings, threats, arrests, intimidation and violent political clashes that left several people dead and others injured.
This indicates that the relative calm on election day did little to erase the violence, threats and political tension that characterised the build-up to the vote.
Lives Lost Before the Ballot
In the weeks preceding the election, Osun witnessed a surge in politically related violence, particularly in parts of Ilesa and other communities.
For instance, an Accord Party member was killed by suspected thugs believed to be affiliated with the APC a day before the election.
The incident reportedly occurred around 6am on Friday in Omi Eran Atijo community, Osun State.
Similarly, the national chairman of the Accord Party, Maxwell Mgbudem, in a letter dated August 12, 2026, addressed to the Head of the European Union Delegation to Nigeria and ECOWAS, raised concerns over what he described as the deteriorating political atmosphere in the state.
Mgbudem claimed that at least 29 party members had been killed and several others injured in separate incidents linked to the political crisis.
Adeleke had earlier made similar allegations during an Arise TV town hall meeting, claiming that eight members of his party had been killed in the months leading to the election.
“In the last three months, we have lost eight party members with more than 20 injured in gun attacks. There is no single prosecution or active arrest till date,” Adeleke alleged.
He further claimed that the attacks were politically motivated and accused alleged APC supporters of being responsible.
“The perpetrators are known Osun APC thugs with crimes committed in the presence of the police. Video evidence is everywhere on the internet,” he said.
The identities and circumstances surrounding some of the alleged victims could not be independently verified as of the time of filing this report.
The APC, however, also alleged that its members and supporters were victims of politically motivated attacks.
In Esa-Oke, Obokun Local Government Area, a resident was reportedly shot dead while another sustained gunshot injuries. The deceased was said to be an APC supporter and a nephew of Oluwole Oke, the Director-General of the APC Campaign Council and a member of the House of Representatives.
Similarly, four APC members were reportedly shot in Ilesa while preparing for a party rally in the early hours of Tuesday. The assailants were alleged by the party to be linked to the Accord Party.
34 Violent Incidents, 18 Deaths
The scale of the pre-election violence was also highlighted by the Centre for Information and Technology Development (CJID) Conflict Tracker.
According to the tracker, at least 34 election-related violent incidents and 18 deaths were recorded in Osun State from May 2026 ahead of the August 15 poll.
The tracker noted that the figures differed from other accounts, including figures attributed to the Nigeria Police Force and casualty figures released by political parties.
APC campaign alleged that 12 of its supporters were killed within a 24-hour period, including five reportedly killed at a weekend rally and seven others during preparations for a grand rally around the Igbogi area of Ilesa.
Ilesa emerged as one of the major flashpoints, particularly the Igbogi/Ikoti area, while other locations mentioned in connection with political violence included Egbatedo, Oriade, Ijebu-Jesha, Ilobu, Ikire and Osogbo.
Threats, Arrests and Intimidation
Beyond killings, the election was also preceded by allegations of intimidation, harassment, destruction of campaign materials and arrests of opposition supporters.
On August 8, an Accord Party office in Ilesa was reportedly attacked by suspected thugs who allegedly destroyed equipment, campaign materials and other property.
A party source described the incident as an attempt to intimidate its supporters ahead of the election, alleging that the office had been attacked twice within two weeks.
“This is the second time in two weeks that our offices have come under attack and the attackers are being sponsored by the APC,” the source was quoted as saying.
Mgbudem also alleged that more than 60 Accord members and supporters had been arrested and detained in Abuja and Nasarawa State.
He warned that the timing and manner of such actions could undermine confidence in the electoral process if public institutions were perceived as being selective.
“The timing, manner and perceived selectivity of actions by public institutions during an election period are capable of undermining public confidence if they are not demonstrably impartial, transparent and consistent with due process,” Mgbudem said.
He added that the party’s concerns were not intended to obstruct legitimate investigations or lawful enforcement actions.
Threats Against Voters
The pre-election tension was further heightened by a series of alleged threats circulated on social media.
A woman identified as “Arugba” was captured in a video allegedly threatening voters who intended to support parties other than the APC.
“We will cut the finger you used to vote [for] any party except APC. That finger won’t follow you go back home that day,” she was heard saying in the video.
Another woman identified as Ero Arike was also captured in a separate video allegedly threatening to shoot people.
“I have a gun. I do not fear anybody. I will shoot anyone anywhere,” she was also heard saying.
There were also allegations against an APC House of Representatives candidate, Damilare Francis Eniade, who was reportedly seen in a video making threats against residents and the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun, during a political rally.
APC Senator’s Outburst
One of the most controversial incidents involved Senator Francis Fadahunsi, who represents Osun East Senatorial District.
While addressing APC supporters in Ilesa in Yoruba, Fadahunsi was heard warning that members of the Accord Party should not be seen in the area ahead of the election.
“If we hear of Accord Party again in Ilesa here for the election coming up on Saturday, you can record me and say it anywhere,” he said.
He subsequently made a statement interpreted as a call for violence against Accord supporters.
“If we see any Accord Party members, kill them,” Fadahunsi urged his audience.
The senator was subsequently invited by the police for questioning and was later released on bail after hours of interrogation.

Police Arrest 295 Suspects
Following the election, the police said they arrested 295 suspects in connection with various incidents recorded during the governorship poll.
The force spokesman, Ani Iniedu, said 293 of the suspects were released on bail after screening, while two remained in custody for further investigation and possible prosecution.
The identities of the suspects were not immediately disclosed.
The arrests reinforced concerns that although voting itself passed without the large-scale violence feared by many, the election took place against a backdrop of considerable political tension.
Osun Police Keep Mum
Efforts by Politics Nigeria to confirm the number of victims and suspects in police custody were futile as the state police public relations officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, declined to respond to media inquiry.
Adeleke’s Camp Begins Documentation of Victims

In the aftermath of the election, Adeleke’s Imole Campaign Council has directed its structures across the 30 local government areas of Osun State to document victims of violence before, during and immediately after the election.
The development was announced in a statement by the council’s spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi.
He said the exercise would cover people who sustained injuries, families who lost loved ones, people whose properties were damaged or destroyed and other identifiable victims of election-related violence.
“Importantly, this exercise is not party-focused. Every victim must be documented irrespective of political affiliation, party membership or voting preference,” Olajengbesi said.
“Violence against any citizen diminishes us all, and no family should be forgotten simply because of their political persuasion.”
He said local government structures had been directed to submit comprehensive and verifiable records of affected persons for further review and appropriate action.
Adeleke Promises Inquiry
Before the election, Adeleke had promised that his administration would establish an independent commission of inquiry to investigate alleged extrajudicial killings and other acts of violence recorded during the election period.
The governor’s remarks, contained in a speech read by the state Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, came amid growing concerns over escalating political violence.
“The Osun State Government expresses its deepest condolences to the families of all persons who have tragically lost their lives in incidents of violence during this election period,” Adeleke said.
“Every life lost is an Osun life. Politics should never cost anyone his or her life, irrespective of political affiliation.”
End, But Not Over
The election has ended and a winner has emerged. But until the victims of the pervasive violence that trailed the exercise receive justice, Nigeria’s electoral process remains endangered.

Those who lost their lives in the course of the political violence must not be forgotten. Their families deserve justice and, where appropriate, compensation. The perpetrators of the killings must be identified, arrested and prosecuted accordingly.
Similarly, those who made inciting statements before and during the election must be held accountable in accordance with the provisions of the Electoral Act 2022.
The violence that preceded the ballot must receive the same attention as the votes that ultimately determined the winner. Addressing these incidents is essential to restoring public confidence and preserving the sanctity of Nigeria’s electoral process.
As Nigeria prepares for the 2027 general election, one important task for the government is to ensure that the violence witnessed in Osun does not become a precedent.
The post Bullied to Ballot: Deaths, Threats That Trailed Osun Election appeared first on Politics Nigeria.
See vide0|C0ntinue here ➤

Headlines15 hours agoAlleged drug trafficking: Tinubu joins US Justice Department’s request for 10-day delay in release of records
News19 hours agoVehicle in Custody of Ghanaian Government Authority Used in Reportedly Foiled Labone Bank Robbery as Ghana Police Face Mounting Questions Over Nigerian Involvement Narrative – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News15 hours agoSatellite Town Development Department Abuja: Secrets Reporters Uncover ₦15.29m Financial Irregularities as Retired Officer Keeps Government Hilux – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News13 hours ago₦3.26bn in Revenue and Account Irregularities Uncovered Under Mr Abdullahi O. Attah as Chairman – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Entertainment15 hours ago“You’ll fly her in, lodge her and still give her ₦3m” – Lady questions men’s spending on women for sexual pleasure
Viral17 hours agoBayelsa Assembly Approves Removal of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice Chairman Over Alleged Gross Misconduct
Metro11 hours ago“You Can’t Answer ‘His Excellency’ Without Being An Excellent Person” — Peter Obi Says Nigerians Should Punish Breach Of Trust With Their Votes
Metro11 hours ago“Tinubu Meets EFCC Chairman Over Disposal Of Seized Houses” — Holds Closed-Door Talks With Akpabio, Oyetola, Idris, Doguwa Days After Osun Poll

























