Connect with us

Politics

Abuja Floods – The Trumpet Newspaper Nigeria

Published

on

Landlords, business owners and investors in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have called on the FCT Administration to take urgent steps to tackle recurring flooding in Abuja, including the desilting of drainage channels and enforcement against developments that obstruct waterways.

The FCT Stakeholders Forum for Development (FSTF) made the demand on Wednesday, during a press conference in Abuja, where it raised concerns over the increasing impact of flooding on communities, businesses, roads and residential areas across the nation’s capital.

Chairman of the forum, Chief David Kente, said the recent floods had submerged homes, disrupted businesses and rendered some roads impassable, warning that the situation required a coordinated response from the government and residents.

“Flooding is no longer an isolated incident. Communities that never experienced such levels of inundation are now vulnerable. Homes have been submerged, roads cut off, and livelihoods disrupted,” Kente said.

According to him, the forum conducted a fact-finding assessment of some flood-affected areas and identified several factors contributing to the problem.

He listed rapid urbanisation, blocked drainage systems and indiscriminate disposal of waste among the major causes, adding that the removal of drainage covers by scavengers had also contributed to the obstruction of waterways.

Kente said the flooding should not be blamed solely on the current administration of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, noting that Abuja, had experienced serious flooding under previous administrations.

Read Also:

The forum therefore urged stakeholders to treat the problem as a long-standing urban planning and environmental challenge requiring sustained intervention.

It also called for a comprehensive review of Abuja’s 1979 Master Plan, arguing that the document no longer adequately reflects the territory’s population growth and infrastructure requirements.

“The 1979 master plan is outdated. The document that guides development in the FCT no longer reflects the demographic and infrastructural realities of a capital city of over 3.5 million people. It requires urgent review and modernisation,” Kente said.

The call comes amid increased attention to flood preparedness across Nigeria following warnings of heightened flood risks during the 2026 rainy season.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) activated its national emergency operations centre earlier in August to improve flood monitoring, data gathering and coordination among relevant agencies.

The Nigeria Meteorological Agency had also listed the FCT among areas facing a high risk of flash flooding in its early-August outlook, citing factors such as rainfall intensity, soil moisture, terrain and drainage capacity.

The Federal Ministry of Environment also operates a flood early-warning system covering Abuja, and other locations to monitor rainfall patterns and potential flood threats.

Despite its concerns over flooding, the stakeholders’ forum expressed support for Wike’s administration, citing road construction, urban renewal and other infrastructure projects being undertaken across the territory.

Kente described the minister as “Mr. Project”, saying the administration’s infrastructure programme could contribute significantly to Abuja’s economic development if supported by proper environmental planning.

He nevertheless urged the administration to ensure that infrastructure projects did not create or worsen existing environmental problems.

“We appeal to the Honourable Minister to take immediate and decisive action to address flooding in the FCT. This must include desilting of drainages, enforcement against encroachment, and a comprehensive review of the 1979 master plan,” Kente said.

The forum also called for strict compliance with development regulations, arguing that proper planning and enforcement would help reduce the hardship caused by flooding and uncontrolled urban expansion.

The demand comes as the FCT Administration continues drainage and road improvement projects in several parts of Abuja.

In February, the administration inspected drainage, sewer and access-road works around the World Trade Centre and Abuja Metro Rail corridor, areas that have experienced flooding and traffic difficulties during periods of heavy rainfall.

Kente said the forum believed Abuja could overcome its flooding challenges through stronger urban planning, effective enforcement and cooperation between government authorities and residents.

“We believe that with political will, stakeholder collaboration, and proper planning, Abuja can become both a model capital and a flood-resilient city,” he said.

Meanwhile, Deputy Spokesman of the House of Representatives, Rep. Philip Agbese, defended Wike against criticism over the recent flooding in parts of Abuja.

Rep. Agbese argued that it was unfair to hold the FCT minister solely responsible for the flooding, noting that residents also had a responsibility to avoid activities that obstruct drainage channels and contribute to environmental degradation.

The lawmaker also pointed to infrastructure projects undertaken by the FCT Administration, including road, drainage and transportation improvements, as part of efforts to address the territory’s infrastructure challenges.

News2 days ago

FAAN Spent N158.59bn against N98.39bn Limit, Audit Demands N60.2bn Refund – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

₦367.99m in Financial Irregularities Uncovered in FCT Social Development Secretariat Under the Leadership of Hajiya Safiya Umar – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Politics2 days ago

Osun 2026: INEC Under Scrutiny As Money Politics, Violence, Security Threats Test Nigeria’s Road To 2027

News1 day ago

Nigeria’s Atomic Energy Commission Paid ₦34m Without Documents, Lost Track of Store Items and Let a Former Chairman Drive Off With Official Toyota Camry – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

Investigation Reveals NOTAP Channelled ₦138.8 Million Public Revenue into Staff Welfare, Sponsored Non-Staff Weddings and Approved Unauthorised Foreign Trips in Questionable Transactions – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

₦35.46m Financial Irregularities Mars Dr. Aishatu Abubakar-Baju (AIG), Veterinary Council of Nigeria Leadership – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Entertainment2 days ago

“I paid for his visa, flight, hotel, rent, but he broke up with me 4 months after arriving UK” — Woman reveals

Politics1 day ago

Ministers, Governors, Lawmakers You Rely On Are Not Working In Your Best Interest – Jonathan Vatsa Warns Tinubu

News18 hours ago

Vehicle in Custody of Ghanaian Government Authority Used in Reportedly Foiled Labone Bank Robbery as Ghana Police Face Mounting Questions Over Nigerian Involvement Narrative – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Headlines15 hours ago

Alleged drug trafficking: Tinubu joins US Justice Department’s request for 10-day delay in release of records

Trending