Connect with us

Politics

Kanu Writes Chief Justice – The Trumpet Newspaper Nigeria

Published

on

The family of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Nnamdi Kanu has disclosed that he has written to the chief justice and the president of the Court of Appeal, seeking the urgent listing and determination of his pending cases.

According to a statement by the Okwu-Kanu Family on Wednesday, Kanu’s requests followed delays in the proceedings, including what the family described as the federal government’s failure to file substantive responses in one of the cases.

Kanu reportedly commenced proceedings before the Supreme Court on November 7, 2025, challenging the legality of the apex court’s December 15, 2023, judgment that remitted him for the continuation of his criminal proceedings.

The family said the federal government was served with the suit on the same day but had not, according to records available to them, filed a substantive response or caused the matter to be listed for hearing.

In a letter dated August 15, 2026, and received by the Supreme Court on August 17, Kanu asked the CJN to ensure that the suit is listed, heard and determined.

Kanu, who is being held at the Sokoto Medium Security Custodial Centre, argued that his continued detention raised serious legal and jurisdictional questions.

Read Also:

He specifically challenged his remittal for the continuation of criminal proceedings under the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022, noting that the legislation repealed the Terrorism (Prevention) Act, 2013.

The IPOB leader also argued that his jurisdictional challenge had remained unresolved while he continued to be detained.

Separately, the Okwu-Kanu Family disclosed that Kanu has an appeal before the Court of Appeal challenging his November 20, 2025 conviction and life sentence.

In a letter dated August 10, 2026, Kanu reportedly asked the President of the Court of Appeal to expedite the listing of his pending motion, bail application and substantive appeal.

The appeal, identified as Appeal No. CA/ABJ/CR/393/2026, arose from Charge No. FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015 between Kanu and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Kanu said the record of appeal was transmitted on March 9, 2026, while his appellant’s brief of argument was filed and served on the federal government on June 5, 2026.

He urged the appellate court to list his applications and substantive appeal for hearing, citing the circumstances surrounding his continued detention.

The family also recalled the October 13, 2022 judgment in which the Court of Appeal discharged Kanu and quashed the criminal charges against him.

It questioned the subsequent stay of execution obtained by the federal government and argued that civil procedure could not be used to sustain his detention after the criminal charges had been quashed.

The Okwu-Kanu Family said Kanu is not seeking special treatment but wants his pending cases to be heard and determined promptly.

It further disclosed plans to formally notify the United States Congress, Israeli Knesset and International Bar Association of what it described as significant legal and procedural issues surrounding Kanu’s continued detention and pending appeals.

News2 days ago

Vehicle in Custody of Ghanaian Government Authority Used in Reportedly Foiled Labone Bank Robbery as Ghana Police Face Mounting Questions Over Nigerian Involvement Narrative – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

Satellite Town Development Department Abuja: Secrets Reporters Uncover ₦15.29m Financial Irregularities as Retired Officer Keeps Government Hilux – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

₦3.26bn in Revenue and Account Irregularities Uncovered Under Mr Abdullahi O. Attah as Chairman – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Headlines18 hours ago

Crisis rocks Edo Assembly as workers protest planned repeal of financial autonomy for house, judiciary

Headlines2 days ago

Alleged drug trafficking: Tinubu joins US Justice Department’s request for 10-day delay in release of records

Entertainment2 days ago

“You’ll fly her in, lodge her and still give her ₦3m” – Lady questions men’s spending on women for sexual pleasure

Headlines1 day ago

EPL: ‘They’ve brought in some experienced players’ – Ian Wright names club to challenge Arsenal for title

Special Report20 hours ago

Adeleke receives certificate of return, pledges N500m fund for election violence victims – The Witness Nigeria

Metro1 day ago

“You Can’t Answer ‘His Excellency’ Without Being An Excellent Person” — Peter Obi Says Nigerians Should Punish Breach Of Trust With Their Votes

News15 hours ago

Over ₦1.05bn in Financial Irregularities Uncovered under Alihu Nahuchi Leadership in FCT Water Board – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Trending