Connect with us

Politics

Nick Kyrgios Suspended – The Trumpet Newspaper Nigeria

Published

on

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) has confirmed.

Kyrgios provided a sample during the Mallorca Open on June 22, which was later found to contain benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. His provisional suspension took effect on August 4.

The 31-year-old has the right to appeal the suspension but, according to the ITIA, had not done so as of the latest update.

Kyrgios acknowledged the positive test in a statement on Instagram, describing his action as a “huge mistake” and accepting full responsibility.

Under the provisional suspension, he is barred from playing, coaching at or attending Grand Slam tournaments and other events sanctioned by the men’s and women’s professional tennis tours pending the outcome of the case.

Kyrgios could face a ban of up to four years. However, if he establishes that the cocaine was taken outside competition, the maximum sanction could be reduced to three months.

Read Also:

The Australian has struggled with injuries in recent years and has played only four singles matches in 2026. His most recent appearance came in the Wimbledon men’s doubles, where he partnered Alexander Bublik and suffered a first-round defeat.

In his statement, Kyrgios said his prolonged battle with injuries had taken a significant toll on him mentally and physically, adding that accepting he could be nearing the end of his career had been difficult.

He apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and particularly young supporters who look up to him.

Cocaine is classified by the World Anti-Doping Agency as a stimulant and substance of abuse. Reduced sanctions may apply when an athlete tests positive for the substance outside competition.

However, Kyrgios’s sample was collected during the Mallorca Open, where he competed in singles before losing in the opening round to Adam Walton.

Kyrgios has enjoyed a successful but controversial career, winning seven ATP singles titles and reaching the Wimbledon final in 2022, where he lost to Novak Djokovic. He also won the 2022 Australian Open men’s doubles title alongside compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis.

The former world number 13 has frequently attracted controversy for his conduct on court, including arguments with officials and several fines for incidents involving racquet abuse and audible obscenities.

He has also previously spoken publicly about his mental health struggles and the challenges he has faced during his career.

Kyrgios said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on his wellbeing while the matter is addressed.

News2 days ago

FAAN Spent N158.59bn against N98.39bn Limit, Audit Demands N60.2bn Refund – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

₦367.99m in Financial Irregularities Uncovered in FCT Social Development Secretariat Under the Leadership of Hajiya Safiya Umar – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Politics2 days ago

Osun 2026: INEC Under Scrutiny As Money Politics, Violence, Security Threats Test Nigeria’s Road To 2027

News1 day ago

Nigeria’s Atomic Energy Commission Paid ₦34m Without Documents, Lost Track of Store Items and Let a Former Chairman Drive Off With Official Toyota Camry – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Entertainment2 days ago

“I paid for his visa, flight, hotel, rent, but he broke up with me 4 months after arriving UK” — Woman reveals

News2 days ago

₦35.46m Financial Irregularities Mars Dr. Aishatu Abubakar-Baju (AIG), Veterinary Council of Nigeria Leadership – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Politics1 day ago

Ministers, Governors, Lawmakers You Rely On Are Not Working In Your Best Interest – Jonathan Vatsa Warns Tinubu

News2 days ago

Investigation Reveals NOTAP Channelled ₦138.8 Million Public Revenue into Staff Welfare, Sponsored Non-Staff Weddings and Approved Unauthorised Foreign Trips in Questionable Transactions – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News20 hours ago

Vehicle in Custody of Ghanaian Government Authority Used in Reportedly Foiled Labone Bank Robbery as Ghana Police Face Mounting Questions Over Nigerian Involvement Narrative – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Headlines16 hours ago

Alleged drug trafficking: Tinubu joins US Justice Department’s request for 10-day delay in release of records

Trending