Connect with us

Metro

OSUN 2026: Adeleke Withdraws Suit Against EFCC

Published

on

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the suit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s bank account. Adeleke disclosed this in an interview with Channels Television shortly after he was declared winner of the August……

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the suit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s bank account.

Adeleke disclosed this in an interview with Channels Television shortly after he was declared winner of the August 15 governorship election, saying President Bola Tinubu’s intervention had resolved the dispute.

“I’m putting them behind. What else do I want? I have instructed my attorney general to drop it. Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

The dispute began after the EFCC froze the Osun State Government’s statutory allocation account as part of an investigation into alleged fraudulent handling of funds by the state government.

The state government subsequently approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking an order to overturn the EFCC’s directive and demanding N2 billion in exemplary damages against the commission.

The suit, filed on August 5 under the case number FHC/ABJ/CS/1762/2026, had escalated tensions between the state government and the anti-graft agency before Tinubu intervened and directed the EFCC to lift the restriction on the accounts.

Read Also: OSUN 2026: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu’s 2027 Re-election

Adeleke said the President had also expressed concern that actions by federal agencies were sometimes attributed to him despite not being aware of them.

“Most of these things, the president doesn’t know. The president has a lot of foreign work and jobs to do,” he said.

The governor also addressed reports that some of his aides and government officials had been invited by the EFCC for questioning, saying he had directed his lawyers to provide assistance.

“Well, we have been talking. I have been calling all my lawyers to go there,” he said.

Despite his decision to withdraw the case, Adeleke maintained that the EFCC’s action was politically motivated and accused former Osun State governor and Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Gboyega Oyetola, of being behind the move.

“All these things is Oyetola because he is the cousin to the president. He is dropping the president’s name,” Adeleke said.

“I know that the president didn’t know about the EFCC one. That is why he had to call me and stop it.”

The withdrawal of the suit brings an immediate end to the legal challenge mounted by the Osun government over the frozen account, although the EFCC’s broader investigation remains a separate matter.

The commission has maintained that its actions fall within its statutory responsibilities and are connected to an ongoing investigation.

Adeleke’s decision to discontinue the case followed Tinubu’s intervention and came shortly after his re-election as Osun State governor.

Trending