Politics
Jannik Sinner Withdraws From US Open With Knee Injury

World number one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the 2026 US Open after failing to fully recover from a right knee injury.
The 25-year-old Italian has not played competitively since successfully defending his Wimbledon title in July and confirmed that he will miss the final Grand Slam tournament of the year.
Sinner’s withdrawal comes just a day after his biggest rival, Carlos Alcaraz, confirmed his participation at Flushing Meadows following a four-month absence caused by a wrist injury.
The Italian has enjoyed a dominant 2026 season and currently sits comfortably at the top of the ATP rankings. He claimed his fifth Grand Slam singles title by defeating Alexander Zverev in the Wimbledon final.
However, his knee problem has now forced him out of the US Open.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said.
He explained that further training in Monte Carlo showed that he needed additional recovery time.
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue,” he added.
Sinner also expressed his disappointment at missing the tournament, where he has enjoyed considerable success.
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart,” he said.
Sinner’s absence represents another setback for one of tennis’ biggest modern rivalries.
Sinner and Alcaraz shared all four Grand Slam titles across 2024 and 2025, establishing a remarkable two-man battle at the top of the men’s game.
Sinner won the US Open in 2024, claiming the second Grand Slam title of his career, before returning to the final the following year and losing to Alcaraz.
Their rivalry has, however, been interrupted by injuries.
Read also:
The two players have failed to appear together at each of the past three Grand Slam tournaments. Alcaraz missed the French Open and Wimbledon because of his wrist injury, while Sinner will now sit out the US Open.
At the Australian Open earlier this year, Sinner’s defeat by Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals prevented another Grand Slam final between the two young stars.
The pair have met only once in 2026, with Sinner defeating Alcaraz in the Monte Carlo final in April. That victory also helped him reclaim the world number one ranking.
With Sinner out, Germany’s Alexander Zverev will be the top seed at Flushing Meadows.
Alcaraz will enter the tournament as the second seed, while Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime is expected to be the third seed.
The US Open singles main draw is scheduled to begin on Sunday, August 30, 2026.
Sinner’s withdrawal now leaves the tournament without the defending Wimbledon champion and world number one, while Alcaraz’s return provides an opportunity for the Spaniard and other leading contenders to challenge for the final Grand Slam title of the season.

Headlines13 hours agoEPL: They’ll even win Champions League this season’ – Gary Neville names one player Arsenal should sign
News23 hours agoNigerian Government Paid $1.7 Million To Renovate São Tomé Ambassador’s House And Abandoned It – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News18 hours agoMoney Waster: Without Clear Journey , Ex Aviation Minister Hadi Sirika Paid N219m As Touring Allowances While in Office – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Viral11 hours ago2026 JAR: Bayelsa Health Ministry Holds Joint Annual Review, Assures More Commitments On Healthcare Dev’t
News23 hours agoMOWAA: Oshiomhole-Led Panel Completes Probe Into Museum Ownership, Funding Status
Entertainment23 hours ago“What I experienced”- Man shares why he reached out to Aproko Doctor, X influencers in 2020
Entertainment23 hours agoVerydarkman challenges Davido to speak up against APC in 2027
Entertainment22 hours ago“You must drop it”- Ex-Banker shares encounter working at Stanbic IBTC






















