World
Raytheon awarded $22.9 billion contract to ramp up production of Tomahawk cruise missiles

A version of this story appeared in the daily Threat Status newsletter from NewsNGR.
Click here to receive Threat Status delivered directly to your inbox each weekday.
The U.S. has awarded a $22.9 billion contract to defense contractor Raytheon to increase production of Tomahawk cruise missiles, the standard-bearer for American long-range precision power projection, Pentagon officials announced Monday.
The Tomahawk Land Attack Missile is designed to fly at extremely low altitudes and high-subsonic speeds. They are controlled over an evasive route by mission-tailored guidance systems, officials said.
The contract is a result of the Trump administration’s “Arsenal of Freedom” initiative for industry to rapidly scale up weapons manufacturing by eliminating bureaucratic hurdles.
“This Tomahawk award increases our ability to increase the joint force, ensuring our warfighters never face a fair fight,” Under Secretary of War Michael P. Duffey said.
The first operational use of the Tomahawk was during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. Since then, more than 2,300 have been fired in combat.
Raytheon President Phil Jasper said parent company RTX is making “significant investments” in Raytheon’s workforce, technology, supply chain and production facilities to “dramatically boost” the number of Tomahawk missiles it can produce to meet demand.
“Tomahawk is the Navy’s most important strike weapon, able to target hostile forces hundreds of miles away without ever risking the lives of our sailors,” Mr. Jasper said in a statement.
Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the $22.9 billion deal with Raytheon will accelerate missile delivery at “unprecedented speed.”
“Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount,” Mr. Cao said.

News15 hours agoFAAN Spent N158.59bn against N98.39bn Limit, Audit Demands N60.2bn Refund – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News13 hours ago₦367.99m in Financial Irregularities Uncovered in FCT Social Development Secretariat Under the Leadership of Hajiya Safiya Umar – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News14 hours agoInvestigation Reveals NOTAP Channelled ₦138.8 Million Public Revenue into Staff Welfare, Sponsored Non-Staff Weddings and Approved Unauthorised Foreign Trips in Questionable Transactions – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Politics14 hours agoOsun 2026: INEC Under Scrutiny As Money Politics, Violence, Security Threats Test Nigeria’s Road To 2027
Entertainment23 hours ago“The most powerful person in a house is the housemaid” — Man questions billionaire’s maid’s ₦180K salary
News12 hours ago₦35.46m Financial Irregularities Mars Dr. Aishatu Abubakar-Baju (AIG), Veterinary Council of Nigeria Leadership – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Entertainment18 hours ago“I paid for his visa, flight, hotel, rent, but he broke up with me 4 months after arriving UK” — Woman reveals
Special Report21 hours agoEl-Rufai files N10bn suit against ICPC, accuses agency of denying him access to family





















