World
Canada retaliates against U.S. tariffs with dollar-for-dollar levies

Canada is retaliating against President Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canadian products, threatening a dollar-for-dollar counterattack beginning Sept. 8.
The U.S. imposed tariffs on about $20 billion worth of goods from its northern neighbor following the collapse of trade negotiations. In response, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced he’s suspending talks and implementing retaliatory tariffs.
“Late last evening I instructed our negotiators to return to Ottawa. We cannot accept what the U.S. has offered, and we will not give what they have asked,” he said in a Saturday statement. “Canada will match the U.S.’ new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses.”
He added that in the coming days, “we will release the details of these new tariff measures, which will come into force the Tuesday after Labor Day.”
Canada’s new tariffs will target steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics.
Washington “asked too much and offered too little,” Mr. Carney said.
“The new U.S. tariffs are designed to hurt us and divide us. They’re a miscalculation. They’re a miscalculation because Canadians will always take care of each other. We know we’re stronger together,” he said.
The U.S. applies a baseline 10% tariff on Canadian goods generally, separate from the new 50% levy, along with tariffs on specific industries.
Mr. Trump’s new duties on Canada’s goods cover about 5% of annual Canadian exports to the U.S., adding to levies on items like steel, aluminum, autos and lumber.
This 50% tariff follows an earlier hike from 25% to 35% in mid-2025, and this week’s negotiation collapse came after officials signaled a deal was close.
The two countries exchanged roughly $880 billion in goods and services last year, and Canada is America’s second-largest trading partner after Mexico.
The 50% tariffs were originally set to take effect earlier in the week, but Mr. Trump extended the deadline to let talks continue.
Mr. Carney blamed the Trump administration for the failed negotiations, saying “last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”
U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer pointed the finger at Canada, saying it “declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week.”
“Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk-backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” he said in a Friday statement.
Friction between the president and Mr. Carney extends beyond levies, with Mr. Trump floating the idea of Canada becoming the “51st state.”

Headlines22 hours agoEPL: ‘It showed today’ – Owen Hargreaves pinpoints major issue with Man United after Hull City defeat
Viral19 hours agoJUST IN: Bello, They Should Ask Him What Was He Trying To Achieve Burning Cap With Symbol Of President _ Jibrin
Entertainment5 hours ago“The bullet struck exactly where she was sleeping” – Nigerian doctor recalls sister’s miraculous escape from death
Viral21 hours ago1. KANU’S CONVICTION UNDER FIRE: LAWYER QUESTIONS LAW USED AFTER 2022 REPEAL
Metro18 hours agoDSS, Other Security Forces Rescue Kidnap Victim in Imo
Metro19 hours ago2027: Winning Your State for Tinubu More Important Than Becoming Campaign DG – Wike
Metro19 hours agoECOWAS Mission In Guinea-Bissau Holds 5km Route March To Boost Fitness, Teamwork
News18 hours agoEdo Govt Speaks on Claim Davido Was Barred From Entering State
























