Politics
Abuja flood channel demolitions…

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has vowed that all buildings erected on water channels across Abuja, will be demolished, insisting that no individual, regardless of status or political influence, will be spared in the ongoing enforcement exercise.
Wike made the declaration on Tuesday, in response to recent flooding incidents in parts of the capital, warning that the government would move immediately to clear all illegal structures obstructing natural drainage paths.
“We are in a climate change era. The kind of rains we have experienced, or we are experiencing now, we have not experienced before. But that is not to say there are no man-made factors,” he said.
The minister stressed that the demolition drive would proceed without exception, including properties linked to highly placed Nigerians and serving public officials.
He also expressed concern over what he described as the improper conversion of green areas into recreational parks, saying such actions amount to another form of land abuse separate from illegal construction on water channels.
Wike noted that some of the affected lands were tied to long-standing informal claims, but insisted that past irregularities would not be used to justify continued violations.
“Because something was done wrongly many years ago, and then it will not be corrected? No, we will not allow that. We won’t,” he said.
The minister highlighted what he described as progress in land administration under his leadership, stating that 26,000 Certificates of Occupancy (C of Os) had been issued in the past three years—significantly higher than the 7,000 issued over 13 years by previous administrations.
He accused critics of politicising the flooding issue rather than acknowledging reforms in land documentation and business facilitation.
Read also:
“The moment they saw the figures in terms of certificates of occupancy to ease businesses came out, instead of them to commend the administration, they used the issue of flood to begin to play politics,” he said.
Wike, however, commended residents who raised genuine concerns about flooding, distinguishing them from those he accused of exploiting the situation for political purposes.
“I appreciate those Nigerians who meant well by calling us to say, look, you may not have seen this. See what has happened. Not those who will just circulate videos and say, ‘Wike has destroyed Abuja,’” he said.
He maintained that the ongoing demolitions were not politically motivated and would continue despite criticism.
“I never created any flood. So, I hope now that we have started to demolish, you won’t cry to say it is against a political opponent,” he added.

News21 hours agoVehicle in Custody of Ghanaian Government Authority Used in Reportedly Foiled Labone Bank Robbery as Ghana Police Face Mounting Questions Over Nigerian Involvement Narrative – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Headlines17 hours agoAlleged drug trafficking: Tinubu joins US Justice Department’s request for 10-day delay in release of records
News16 hours agoSatellite Town Development Department Abuja: Secrets Reporters Uncover ₦15.29m Financial Irregularities as Retired Officer Keeps Government Hilux – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News15 hours ago₦3.26bn in Revenue and Account Irregularities Uncovered Under Mr Abdullahi O. Attah as Chairman – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Entertainment17 hours ago“You’ll fly her in, lodge her and still give her ₦3m” – Lady questions men’s spending on women for sexual pleasure
Viral19 hours agoBayelsa Assembly Approves Removal of Sagbama Council Chairman, Vice Chairman Over Alleged Gross Misconduct
Metro13 hours ago“You Can’t Answer ‘His Excellency’ Without Being An Excellent Person” — Peter Obi Says Nigerians Should Punish Breach Of Trust With Their Votes
Metro13 hours ago“Tinubu Meets EFCC Chairman Over Disposal Of Seized Houses” — Holds Closed-Door Talks With Akpabio, Oyetola, Idris, Doguwa Days After Osun Poll























