Connect with us

World

Kushner discusses Gaza with Netanyahu after two-hour meeting with Hamas

Published

on

Middle East negotiator and Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner is meeting Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after the premier rejected the 15-point, US-backed road map to move the truce deal forward in Gaza.

In the latest round of meetings, the US is seeking Israel’s approval of the road map.

There is a lot at stake, including the lives of some two million Palestinians in Gaza, the reconstruction of the demolished enclave and future control over the territory.

Hamas says it has agreed to the road map, which includes disarmament, and the group is urging mediators and the US-created Board of Peace to “compel” Israel to sign on as well.

Jared Kushner (Alex Brandon/AP)

But Israel, which under the road map must withdraw from Gaza, says Hamas must fully disarm before any Israeli withdrawal will occur.

Israeli troops occupy about 60% of the strip and Mr Netanyahu has previously threatened to advance.

Former British prime minister Sir Tony Blair and Board of Peace director Nickolay Mladenov were also in the meeting with Mr Netanyahu, according to a source familiar with the plans and a diplomatic source.

The meeting comes after Mr Kushner spent more than two hours on Sunday with Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on disarmament, according to a regional official and a Hamas official, who both spoke on condition of anonymity.

Officials from mediating countries Egypt, Qatar and Turkey also were there.

The Hamas official also said the Hamas leader demanded Israel halt its attacks on Gaza and withdraw to the so-called “yellow line” dividing the territory before beginning implementation.

The yellow line was never precisely defined. Israeli forces have moved beyond it and now control about 60% of Gaza.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (Jacquelyn Martin/AP)

In May, Mr Netanyahu said the next step was to move to 70% control, with Israel “tightening the grip” on Hamas “from every direction”.

Several regional powers including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates issued a statement on Sunday condemning Israel’s rejection of the road map, saying: “Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza.”

Other signers included Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia and the ceasefire mediators.

The foreign ministers’ statement called on the Board of Peace and the US to take “immediate and concrete measures” to keep any party from obstructing the plan’s implementation.

Israel had no immediate response.

The White House referred questions about Mr Kushner’s meetings to the Board of Peace, which did not immediately comment. The Tony Blair Institute also did not comment.

Under the road map, Hamas would hand over weapons to the Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee daily operations in the territory. The committee has not yet entered Gaza.

But Hamas has linked the surrender of its heaviest weapons to the creation of a Palestinian state and the road map entails the creation of a “credible pathway toward achieving Palestinian self-determination and statehood,” something Israel’s current government rejects.

Until the road map is agreed to, other elements of the ceasefire are on hold, including reconstruction and the deployment of international forces to separate Israeli forces from committee-controlled areas.

Mr Netanyahu faces a challenging election on October 27 as he tries to hold onto power with a coalition that includes ministers taking a harsh line on Gaza and it is not clear whether he will take decisive steps on the ceasefire before then.

Also coming up is the anniversary of the October 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on southern Israel that sparked the war.

Headlines2 days ago

Women leaders seek more govt support for farming, action on child trafficking, early marriage in Niger

News1 day ago

Scammers Hijack Car Dealer’s Identity, Forge CAC Certificate Photo, and Open Fraudulent Moniepoint Account, Exposing Deep Flaws in Fintech KYC – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

Morning recap: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun poll, Islamic leaders caution against anti-Christian rhetoric, other top stories

Entertainment2 days ago

“My flight was cancelled…” – Woman recounts painful betrayal after finding husband in bed with childhood friend

News20 hours ago

FAAN Spent N158.59bn against N98.39bn Limit, Audit Demands N60.2bn Refund – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

Federal Energy Research Centre at UNN Ran Up Nearly ₦686 Million in Unauthorised Spending, Doubtful Payments and Audit Bypasses – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News18 hours ago

₦367.99m in Financial Irregularities Uncovered in FCT Social Development Secretariat Under the Leadership of Hajiya Safiya Umar – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Metro2 days ago

“Adeleke’s Victory Shows Our Votes Can End Economic Hardship” — Peter Obi Urges Nigerians To Defend Ballots In 2027

Politics19 hours ago

Osun 2026: INEC Under Scrutiny As Money Politics, Violence, Security Threats Test Nigeria’s Road To 2027

News19 hours ago

Investigation Reveals NOTAP Channelled ₦138.8 Million Public Revenue into Staff Welfare, Sponsored Non-Staff Weddings and Approved Unauthorised Foreign Trips in Questionable Transactions – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Trending