Connect with us

World

Prince Harry, Elton John, others ordered to pay $13M after losing privacy case

Published

on

Prince Harry and six others, including Elton John, have been ordered to pay an initial 9.5 million pounds ($13 million) to the publisher of Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper following their failed invasion of privacy case.

In a judgment Friday, Justice Matthew Nicklin said Friday in a written statement that the payment will have to made by Aug. 28. The payment is at the upper end of expectations.

The claimants lost a High Court case in London last month during which they had alleged malpractice, such as the illegal hacking of phones, on the part of Associated Newspapers.

The publisher has said it accumulated more than 34 million pounds during the case. The remainder of the costs will have to be reimbursed by a later date by the claimants, who are insured for around half that total.

The publisher had strongly denied the claims made during the 11-week trial in London, which ended on July 7 when Nicklin said there had been a shortage of evidence to support the claims and found a possibility that the reporting came from legitimate sources.

The other high-profile figures behind the case were Doreen Lawrence, the anti‑racism activist whose son Stephen was stabbed to death in 1993 as he waited for a bus; Elton John’s film producer husband David Furnish; actors Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley; and politician Simon Hughes.

RELATED STORY | Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK with their children

The judgment comes two days after it was made public that Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are moving back to the U.K. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are no longer working royals, decamped to California more than six years ago but will relocate back later this month to live in a nonroyal residence outside London.

Harry’s defeat against Associated Newspapers brought an end to a trio of lawsuits accusing tabloid publishers of using unlawful tactics, such as phone hacking or hiring private detectives to dig up dirt on his life.

Harry won a judgment in 2023 that condemned the publishers of the Daily Mirror for “widespread and habitual” phone hacking. Last year, Rupert Murdoch’s flagship U.K. tabloid, The Sun, made an unprecedented apology for intruding on his life for years and agreed to pay substantial damages to settle his privacy invasion lawsuit.

Harry has said his litigation — in which he broke with royal family tradition to seek relief in the courts — was a primary source of his falling out with his father, King Charles III, and brother Prince William.

His grudge with the tabloids runs deep and his legal actions are part of his larger quest to reform the news media that he says damaged his relationships and made him “ paranoid beyond belief.”

He blames the press for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in 1997 while being pursued by paparazzi in Paris, and for attacks on his wife, Meghan, that led the couple to abandon royal life and move to the United States in 2020.

Headlines19 hours ago

I don’t subscribe to ‘Oyinbo’ life – Tony Elumelu schools graduate trainee for calling him by his first name [VIDEO]

Headlines2 days ago

Crisis rocks Edo Assembly as workers protest planned repeal of financial autonomy for house, judiciary

News2 days ago

Missing Millions, Black-Market Dollars and Uncollected Debts: News Agency of Nigeria Failed to Account for Public Funds and Foreign Exchange – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Headlines1 day ago

InMessage strengthens online dating experience with focus on real Connections, safer social discovery

News2 days ago

Prof. Josephine Anene-Okakwa Administration Saddled with ₦76.84m in Financial Irregularities at Federal College of Education (Technical), Asaba – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

Over ₦1.05bn in Financial Irregularities Uncovered under Alihu Nahuchi Leadership in FCT Water Board – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Special Report2 days ago

Adeleke receives certificate of return, pledges N500m fund for election violence victims – The Witness Nigeria

Headlines1 day ago

Plateau killings: Ex-Gov Dariye seeks help from international communityDariyePlateau killings: Ex-Gov Dariye seeks help from international community

News19 hours ago

There was a country: EFCC Chairman Olukayode Jails Final Year Student For Criticising Him – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News20 hours ago

Invalid Tax And BPP Clearance Yet Aviation Ministry Awards N1.09 Billion Airport Contracts To Shady Companies – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Trending