Connect with us

Politics

NDC Opens Up on Campaign Strategy as INEC Lifts Ban

Published

on

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has said it will adopt a strategic approach to its 2027 election campaign rather than rush into full-scale electioneering following the lifting of the ban on political campaigns.

The party said the commencement of the campaign period does not mean it must immediately embark on intensive rallies and other campaign activities.

It stressed that it would carefully deploy its resources and engage stakeholders ahead of the presidential election.

The National Publicity Secretary of the NDC, Osa Director, disclosed this while speaking on the party’s preparedness for the 2027 elections.

Director said the NDC was ready to conduct an “effective and efficient campaign that is stakeholders-driven”, but noted that the presidential election was still about five months away.

According to him, the party would use the available time to develop a campaign strategy capable of effectively communicating its message to Nigerians rather than rushing into activities simply because the ban had been lifted.

“The NDC is ready to run an effective and efficient campaign that is stakeholders-driven. However, the fact that the ban on campaign activities is lifted does not automatically translate to political parties commencing their campaigns the same day.

“The presidential election is about five months away. Therefore, we need to be strategic and impactful with our campaign strategies,” he said.

The NDC spokesman also criticised the increase in the cost of billboards by some state governments, warning that the development could limit the ability of political parties and candidates to communicate with voters during the campaign season.

He described the increase as unreasonable and argued that political parties should be allowed to operate in an environment where freedom of expression and fair political participation are protected.

“We condemn the unreasonable hike in prices for billboards by some states. It is undemocratic and amounts to constricting the space for free expression.

“The state governments involved in such unwholesome and politically abominable practices should reverse themselves immediately. What are they afraid of?” he asked.

Peter Obi; Bola Tinubu; Atiku Abubakar

Director further assured NDC candidates that the party would provide the support required to enable them to campaign effectively across the country.

He said the party was determined to approach Nigerian politics differently and promised that its activities during the election season would distinguish it from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

“We will give our candidates all the necessary support to succeed. NDC will play politics of no longer business as usual.

“Nigerians should watch out, and they will soon notice that we are different and the preferred party to rescue Nigeria from its present mess inflicted on it by the moribund APC government,” he alleged.

The NDC’s position came as political parties and candidates signed the first National Peace Accord on issue-based campaigns ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The accord was signed in Abuja on Tuesday at a ceremony organised by the National Peace Committee in partnership with The Kukah Centre, shortly before the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies.

The agreement commits political actors to peaceful and issue-based campaigns while discouraging violence, hate speech, misinformation, personal attacks and other conduct capable of undermining the electoral process.

The event was attended by the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Joash Amupitan; political party leaders; presidential and National Assembly candidates; the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu; members of the diplomatic community and other stakeholders.

Among those who signed the accord were President Bola Tinubu, represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume; NDC presidential candidate Peter Obi; Social Democratic Party candidate Adewole Adebayo and African Action Congress candidate Omoyele Sowore.

Other participants included APC National Chairman, Prof Nentawe Yilwatda; presidential candidates and representatives of other political parties; the Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin; the PRP National Chairman, Hakeem Baba-Ahmed; lawmakers, party leaders and other candidates.

Diplomatic representatives, including the European Union Ambassador to Nigeria, Gautier Mignot, and the Ambassador of Switzerland to Nigeria, Patrick Egloff, also delivered goodwill messages at the event.

However, some prominent political figures were absent from the ceremony. They included former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), and Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, who is the presidential candidate of the Allied Peoples’ Movement.

The signing of the accord came amid increased political activity ahead of the 2027 elections, with issues such as the economy, insecurity, unemployment, poverty, infrastructure and the credibility of the electoral process expected to feature prominently in the campaigns.

Under INEC’s revised timetable, the presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled for January 16, 2027, while the governorship and State House of Assembly elections will take place on February 6, 2027.

Speaking at the peace accord ceremony, INEC Chairman Amupitan said the agreement was not merely symbolic but provided an opportunity for political actors to establish acceptable standards for the election before campaigns intensified.

He said the timing was particularly important because Wednesday (today) marked the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies for the 2027 elections.

“Tomorrow, Wednesday, August 19, 2026, marks the statutory commencement of public campaigns and rallies for the 2027 general election.

“Before the first campaign flag is unfurled, before the first rally is staged, and before political rhetoric fills our public space, it is necessary that those who seek to lead this nation first gather to establish the ethical boundaries of their contest,” Amupitan said.

News2 days ago

FAAN Spent N158.59bn against N98.39bn Limit, Audit Demands N60.2bn Refund – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News1 day ago

₦367.99m in Financial Irregularities Uncovered in FCT Social Development Secretariat Under the Leadership of Hajiya Safiya Umar – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Politics2 days ago

Osun 2026: INEC Under Scrutiny As Money Politics, Violence, Security Threats Test Nigeria’s Road To 2027

News2 days ago

Investigation Reveals NOTAP Channelled ₦138.8 Million Public Revenue into Staff Welfare, Sponsored Non-Staff Weddings and Approved Unauthorised Foreign Trips in Questionable Transactions – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News1 day ago

₦35.46m Financial Irregularities Mars Dr. Aishatu Abubakar-Baju (AIG), Veterinary Council of Nigeria Leadership – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Entertainment2 days ago

“The most powerful person in a house is the housemaid” — Man questions billionaire’s maid’s ₦180K salary

Entertainment2 days ago

“I paid for his visa, flight, hotel, rent, but he broke up with me 4 months after arriving UK” — Woman reveals

Politics21 hours ago

Ministers, Governors, Lawmakers You Rely On Are Not Working In Your Best Interest – Jonathan Vatsa Warns Tinubu

News23 hours ago

Nigeria’s Atomic Energy Commission Paid ₦34m Without Documents, Lost Track of Store Items and Let a Former Chairman Drive Off With Official Toyota Camry – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Entertainment21 hours ago

“If you can’t pay for your flight ticket and don’t have a job, don’t marry” — Female pastor advises ladies

Trending