Metro
Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo ‘Far From Under Control’, WHO Chief Warns

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is spreading faster than any previous outbreak of the disease, with the World Health Organisation (WHO) warning that it could spill into more countries. WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, raised the alarm on Tuesday during an emergency meeting on the……
The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is spreading faster than any previous outbreak of the disease, with the World Health Organisation (WHO) warning that it could spill into more countries.
WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, raised the alarm on Tuesday during an emergency meeting on the outbreak, saying efforts to contain the disease were still lagging behind its spread.
“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” Tedros said.
“It had a big head start, and we are still playing catch-up,” he added.
The warning came a day after the DRC reported that more than 2,300 people had died from the outbreak, with nearly 5,000 cases recorded.
The outbreak, which was declared on May 15, is the DRC’s 17th Ebola epidemic and is already the deadliest in the country’s history.
Health authorities believe the virus had been circulating for several weeks before the outbreak was officially declared, raising concerns over the scale of transmission and the risk of further spread.
READ ALSO: DR Congo Ebola Outbreak Becomes Deadliest In Country’s History
It has hit regions in the north and east where the presence of the state is weak, health infrastructure is largely lacking and myriad armed groups have roamed for decades.
The outbreak “is being fuelled by insecurity and displacement, and intense population movement along roads, rivers and mining routes”, Tedros said, according to a transcript of his remarks.
He called for governments to cooperate in fighting the outbreak, and said new recommendations would be issued to DRC and other countries at risk in the coming days.
Unprecedented speed
The virus, which spreads through contact with bodily fluids and causes a haemorrhagic fever, “is moving faster than any previous Ebola outbreak”, he warned.
Three months after it was declared, seven times more cases and five times more deaths were recorded in the DRC than during the first three months of the largest Ebola outbreak in history, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
That outbreak hit west Africa in 2013-2016, killing more than 11,300 people, mainly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.
A 2018-2020 outbreak in the DRC, previously considered the country’s deadliest, killed 2,299 people out of 3,381 confirmed cases, according to WHO figures based on Congolese data.
Tuesday marked the second meeting of the WHO emergency committee since it declared on May 17 the outbreak a so-called Public Health Emergency of International Concern — its second-highest alert level.
It remained unclear when the committee would release its recommendations.
Currently, the United Nations health agency assesses the public health risk level at “very high” at the national level in the DRC, “high” for Uganda and other bordering nations, and “low” for the rest of Africa and the world.
High risk of spread
Cases have so far been reported in six DRC provinces, including near the border with South Sudan, as well as in neighbouring Uganda.
“The risk of further national and international spread remains high,” Tedros warned.
No specific vaccine or treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain behind the current surge of Ebola, although clinical trials are underway.
The WHO chief said that what concerned him most was “where people are dying: at home, in their communities, outside treatment centres, and outside known contact lists”.
“Every death like that points to a chain of transmission we have not yet found,” he said, warning that “until every chain is found and broken, the epidemic will continue”.
The wariness in communities explained “the rise in cases and in deaths over the past three or four weeks,” Dieudonne Mwamba, head of the DRC’s Institute of Public Health (INSP), told AFP. Addressing that would require “other strategies”, he said.
At a press briefing on Tuesday, WHO expert Thierno Balde described efforts to ramp up and decentralise the response to bring it closer to communities where the virus is spreading.
Among other things, he said the organisation was striving to better protect motorcycle taxi drivers who transport patients, and integrate them into the surveillance system.
“WHO and partners aim to see an impact of the scale up in the next months but cannot put a timeline on when the epidemic will be brought under control,” he told reporters in Geneva, speaking from Bunia.
AFP

Politics21 hours agoMinisters, Governors, Lawmakers You Rely On Are Not Working In Your Best Interest – Jonathan Vatsa Warns Tinubu
News23 hours agoNigeria’s Atomic Energy Commission Paid ₦34m Without Documents, Lost Track of Store Items and Let a Former Chairman Drive Off With Official Toyota Camry – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Entertainment21 hours ago“If you can’t pay for your flight ticket and don’t have a job, don’t marry” — Female pastor advises ladies
Entertainment19 hours ago“Your prayer point is different from mine” – Businessman says as he proudly flaunts his thriving business
Entertainment18 hours ago“He tried to lure me into having sex with him, but I refused” — Funke Etti recounts alleged ordeal with movie director
Entertainment9 hours ago“You’ll fly her in, lodge her and still give her ₦3m” – Lady questions men’s spending on women for sexual pleasure
News13 hours agoVehicle in Custody of Ghanaian Government Authority Used in Reportedly Foiled Labone Bank Robbery as Ghana Police Face Mounting Questions Over Nigerian Involvement Narrative – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Headlines9 hours agoAlleged drug trafficking: Tinubu joins US Justice Department’s request for 10-day delay in release of records






















