Connect with us

Metro

Mbah Raises ESUT Monthly Subvention By N115m, Urges ASUU To Suspend Strike

Published

on

Enugu State Governor Peter Mbah has approved an additional N115 million monthly subvention for the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) as part of efforts to address concerns surrounding the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), ESUT chapter….

Enugu State Governor Peter Mbah has approved an additional N115 million monthly subvention for the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) as part of efforts to address concerns surrounding the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), ESUT chapter.

The additional funding will increase the state government’s monthly subvention to the university from N161 million to N276 million, representing a cumulative increase of N140 million since February 2026.

The Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Prof. Chidiebere Onyia, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.

Onyia said the latest intervention demonstrated the administration’s commitment to strengthening ESUT’s capacity to meet its financial obligations, particularly its responsibilities to staff and students.

“Governor Mbah has demonstrated once again that his administration places the welfare of workers and the uninterrupted education of our young people at the heart of its priorities,” he said.

“This additional N115 million monthly intervention is a substantial commitment of public resources aimed at strengthening ESUT and ensuring that the institution can meet its obligations to its staff and students.”

He explained that the state government had been providing N136 million monthly to ESUT before February 2026.

The government subsequently approved an additional N25 million monthly intervention for the ESUT College of Medicine (ESUCOM) to support the payment of 120 additional staff, bringing total monthly support to N161 million.

With the latest N115 million increase, the state’s monthly subvention to ESUT will now stand at N276 million.

According to the SSG, the increased funding would assist the university in meeting the salary agreement reached between ASUU and the Federal Government.

He appealed to ASUU-ESUT members to reciprocate the government’s intervention by suspending their industrial action and returning to the classrooms.

“We appeal to ASUU-ESUT to reciprocate this gesture by resuming academic activities, while all outstanding issues are addressed through constructive dialogue,” Onyia said.

“Our students should not be made to bear the consequences of disagreements that can be resolved amicably.”

The SSG urged the university management, ASUU and other stakeholders to embrace dialogue and work together to resolve the outstanding issues.

He said the ultimate objective should be to ensure that students receive uninterrupted and quality education.

Onyia reaffirmed the Mbah administration’s commitment to the welfare of workers and the continued development of ESUT, assuring the university community of further support within available resources.

He said the government would continue to take steps to strengthen the institution and position it to fulfil its mandate as a leading university of science and technology.

Headlines2 days ago

Women leaders seek more govt support for farming, action on child trafficking, early marriage in Niger

News1 day ago

Scammers Hijack Car Dealer’s Identity, Forge CAC Certificate Photo, and Open Fraudulent Moniepoint Account, Exposing Deep Flaws in Fintech KYC – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Entertainment2 days ago

“My flight was cancelled…” – Woman recounts painful betrayal after finding husband in bed with childhood friend

News23 hours ago

FAAN Spent N158.59bn against N98.39bn Limit, Audit Demands N60.2bn Refund – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News20 hours ago

₦367.99m in Financial Irregularities Uncovered in FCT Social Development Secretariat Under the Leadership of Hajiya Safiya Umar – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

News2 days ago

Federal Energy Research Centre at UNN Ran Up Nearly ₦686 Million in Unauthorised Spending, Doubtful Payments and Audit Bypasses – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Politics22 hours ago

Osun 2026: INEC Under Scrutiny As Money Politics, Violence, Security Threats Test Nigeria’s Road To 2027

News21 hours ago

Investigation Reveals NOTAP Channelled ₦138.8 Million Public Revenue into Staff Welfare, Sponsored Non-Staff Weddings and Approved Unauthorised Foreign Trips in Questionable Transactions – Secrets Reporters Nigeria

Metro2 days ago

“Adeleke’s Victory Shows Our Votes Can End Economic Hardship” — Peter Obi Urges Nigerians To Defend Ballots In 2027

Entertainment1 day ago

“The most powerful person in a house is the housemaid” — Man questions billionaire’s maid’s ₦180K salary

Trending