World
Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine, which has been effective in past outbreaks

BUNIA, Congo — Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has been effective in past Ebola outbreaks, the World Health Organization and partners said Thursday, announcing a step seen as a major boost to efforts to contain what officials have described as the fastest Ebola outbreak in history.
The Ervebo vaccine is licensed for use against Ebola virus, one of the viruses that cause Ebola disease, but not for Bundibugyo virus, which is responsible for the current outbreak.
WHO said in a statement that while it’s not known whether Ervebo may protect against the Bundibugyo virus, “early laboratory and animal data suggest it may provide some protection.”
The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the impact of the vaccine on the Bundibugyo virus, the agency said. The remaining 50,000 doses will be used for front-line and health workers as recommended by WHO experts.
The outbreak raging on in eastern Congo has so far killed 2,476 people out of the 5,208 confirmed cases.
It has infected and killed more people at a greater speed than any other Ebola outbreak in history, and is spreading about three times faster than that of 2014-2016 across West Africa, which was the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record with more than 11,000 deaths.
The lack of approved vaccines or treatments for the rare Bundibugyo virus has been a major issue for responders. Also, most new cases are being reported outside of the people being monitored, showing it has spread quickly and left surveillance teams racing to catch up.

Headlines23 hours agoI don’t subscribe to ‘Oyinbo’ life – Tony Elumelu schools graduate trainee for calling him by his first name [VIDEO]
News23 hours agoThere was a country: EFCC Chairman Olukayode Jails Final Year Student For Criticising Him – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News24 hours agoInvalid Tax And BPP Clearance Yet Aviation Ministry Awards N1.09 Billion Airport Contracts To Shady Companies – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
News18 hours agoOne Of A Kind: It’s Your Right To Criticize Me As You Want Without Fear Of Arrest, Cross Rivers Gov. Otu Shames Gov. Sheriff and Umo Eno – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Entertainment12 hours ago“You have to leave today” — Lady orders friend out after walking around house in towel around her husband
News10 hours agoTwin Devils: How Aviation Minister Hadi Sirika Paid Over ₦358m Mobilization To Adroit Landstyle Ltd Company Despite Presenting Expired Conditional Guarantee – Secrets Reporters Nigeria
Entertainment9 hours agoBella breaks silence on breakup with Sheggz, speaks on marriage, engagement ring and unfulfilled promises
Viral3 hours ago“Hi Tony” – Old video of Stanford student calling Tony Elumelu by first name resurfaces amid viral incident
























