Gunmen attack buses conveying INEC officials in Kogi, 6 missing

ec gunmen x

By Thompson Yamput

Two serving National Youth Service Corps, NYSC members and four ex- members of the scheme have been declared missing after some yet to be identified gunmen attacked six buses carrying officials of Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Abajana area of Kogi State in the early hours of Sunday.

Officials of INEC, police officers and drivers sustained gunshot injuries in the attack on the six buses which reportedly occurred around 2 a.m.

The injured persons were evacuated to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), now Federal University Teaching Hospital, Lokoja where they are now on admission.

Mr Salisu Ibrahim, one of the bus drivers, who was shot on his right leg, and recuperating at the hospital, told NAN that the attackers took them by surprise.

“We were on our way back to Lokoja from Abujor RAC with the results of the House of Assembly election held there, when we were attacked by some people.

“All the six buses moving in a convoy were attacked and in the process many of us sustained injuries.

“Thank God, none of us died in the process but I learnt some corpers are missing during the attack on us this early morning,” Ibrahim narrated.

Mr Dare Owofadaju, a youth corps member who was shot on his left thigh, said: “It is only God that kept us alive considering the way and manner the gunmen attacked us.”

Owofadaju said that the election was conducted peacefully, and counting was completed, and “it was when we were returning to Lokoja that we were attacked at Abajana”.

“Thank God some security operatives came to our rescue and rushed those of us injured to this Federal University Teaching Hospital Lokoja for immediate treatment,” he narrated.

The Commander, Headquarters Command Army Records (CAR), Maj-Gen. Sunday Igbinomwanhia, Kogi INEC REC, Dr Hale Longpet, and the Kogi NYSC Coordinator, Mrs Mofoluwaso Williams, have visited the injured in the hospital.

The REC and the state NYSC coordinator declined to respond to NAN enquiries on the incident.

But the Spokesman of Kogi Police Command, SP Williams Ovye-Aya, confirmed the incident, saying that the police was on top of the situation.

“We are aware of the sad incident and preparing to issue a statement on the attack,” he said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button